Whether you have a few hours once a year or a few hours a week, you can make a difference right here in Danbury, CT… you can help transform a city one life at a time. Jericho is here to encourage, equip and empower you – your small group, your friends, and family – to love and serve our city’s most vulnerable people.
If you don't see anything that suits your gifts, tell us on the form (accessed below). We'll do our best to customize an opportunity for you.
current Volunteer opportunities
NEW OPPORTUNITY! Bookkeeper: Serve our Ministry Partners by helping with their financial records.
- For Athletes of Christ (can be done from home), or others at the need arises
Reading Buddy - Great Plain School: Work with a small group of students in classroom (under teacher's guidance) to support learning
- Through CityServe at Great Plain Elementary School, in hour-long blocks (you choose how many!) between 10:00 am and 1:00 pm., Wednesdays and Thursdays. We're serving kindergartners, first graders and 5th graders in this expansion of our CityServe program
Reading Buddy-South Street School or Jericho/Rose Street: Help a student (whose parents typically don’t speak English) attain or maintain grade-level reading skills
- Through CityServe at South Street Elementary School, 8:30 to 9:15 am, Mondays through Thursdays, as you're able.
- At S.A.Y. Yes! After-School Program, weekdays 3:00 to 5:30 pm, as you're able
CleanStart Team Leader: Supervise and work with our homeless neighbors who participate in this work-readiness program (part of CityServe)
- Through CityServe, Mondays/Wednesdays or Tuesdays/Thursdays, 9:00 am to 1:00 pm, as you're able
Administrator/event helper: Help various ministries raise funds by planning events and following up with supporters (prepare and send thank-you notes, etc.)
- Through various ministries, including Athletes of Christ and Samaritan Health Center, as you're able
Tutor: Join in our after-school program (or summer programs) to help students with their homework and engage in other activities
- At Jericho Spring Street Neighborhood Center, 3:00 - 5:30 pm during school year, as you're able
- At S.A.Y. Yes!, after school, 3:00 to 5:30 pm weekdays, or weekdays during the summer, as you're able
ESL instructor (certified or non-certified): Teach adults to speak English
- At Spring Street Neighborhood Center, after school/evenings, as you're able
Childcare provider: Care for children whose parents are in ESL classes
- At Spring Street Neighborhood Center, hours vary
Extracurricular instructors: Provide activities, i.e. fitness, dance, art, music, etc., for our students
- At Spring Street Neighborhood Center, Monday-Friday, after school
- At The Academy, visit for special workshops in your area of expertise
Homeless Shelter attendant: Be a compassionate presence for those who use the shelter overnight or during the day
- At Good Samaritan Mission; a steady commitment is preferred
- Overnight shift: 8:00 p.m. to 6:30 a.m.
- Daytime shift: 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Translator: Assist individuals who speak Spanish or Portuguese and help them navigate through their time at Jericho
- At Samaritan Health Center, weekdays except Thursday, as you're able
- Be available for other Jericho Ministry Partners as needed
Mentor: Come alongside a boy, girl, or man recovering from addiction in a longer-term relationship
- Through Pathways Danbury Boys' Mentoring (commitment is approximately 3-4 meetings/relationship-building outings every month throughout your mentee's middle and/or high school career)
- Through Naomi Girls' Mentoring (commitment is approximately 3-4 meetings/relationship-building outings every month throughout your mentee's middle and/or high school career)
- Through Good Samaritan Mission's Discipleship House (commitment varies, any day, non-business hours preferred)
Food Server: Demonstrate love to kids in our school or after-school program by serving food
- At The Academy middle school, lunch hour Monday-Friday as you're able
- At S.A.Y. After-school program, daily during the school year as you're able, and during the summer
- At Spring Street Neighborhood Center, after school, and/or during the summer
Driver: Demonstrate love to our kids by driving them to and from our programs
- Through S.A.Y. Yes! After-school Program; at 5:30 weekdays to take students from our Center at 13 Rose St. to their homes around the inner city.
Jericho Front Desk Receptionist: Greet people in person and on the phone with the love of Christ and assist them as they first come to Jericho's offices at 13 Rose St.
- Mondays - Fridays, 8:30 am to 5:00 p.m., as you're able